Monday, February 2, 2009

Purse Learnings

Well, i gave my scrap material purse a go today. I love the free pattern i got for it online. Sewing it was a cinch.

Then came the zipper.

I've avoided zippers in all my sewing endeavors my whole life. My mom taught me how to sew and i've got it in my head that she discouraged me from zippers if at all possible. I learned buttons. And snaps. But never zippers.

I wanted to give it a shot.



I went and bought a zipper foot for my sewing machine. When it came time for the zipper and installation of the foot, i looked at this little purse and the curve of the zipper and thought "how the heck am i going to get that under the machine to sew it?" So i decided to stitch it by hand.

I think my first pursie attempt turned out great. There are some things i would do differently. I would find a more convenient start and easier way to stitch the zipper by hand (my pins kept getting in the way and it felt like my hands were crossing over one another).

Stay tuned, or like i said, check etsy. I have a feeling the next few attempts (successes) will be posted for sale. Seems I've already got a buddy slippin' me winks and nudges for her own patchwork pursie. ;-)

1 comment: