Saturday, January 3, 2009

Snowflakes that Stay on My Nose and Eyelashes

This is a Call to Action! If you live in a place where there is snow, and it happens to BE snowing and you are able to take a brief moment of your day to WATCH a snowflake, I'm asking you to do it.

This morning i was running late (as usual) and when i got to my car, I turned into Steve Austin: my eyes zoomed in on the intricacies of the few snowflakes on my car window. I've noticed snowflakes before, and whenever I do so, an overwhelming sense of calm drapes me. I find myself smiling. It's a little weird that i have such a physical reaction, but the detail and symmetry of a snowflake boggles my mind. It's things like a snowflake that i find myself deciding that there is indeed a God.

Which makes me wonder if snowflakes contribute in part, probably subcontiously, to my appreciation of all things symmetrical. There is certainly a place for unbalanced, especially when situating living room furniture (I'm a big fan of 'kitty-corner' and diagonals and putting things RIGHT IN the space most of us feel inclined to leave open in the middle), or composing a portrait ('always on the third'). When I got my tattoo, I was VERY sure that the design had to be symmetrical and it had to lay symmetrically on my body. I wanted and needed to stay 'balanced.'

So go [metaphorically] Hug a Snowflake today!

1 comment:

  1. Sebastien and I were walking down the street the other day, and he says, "Do you think that in the whole history of the earth, taking into account how HUGE the Earth is, and how many times there has been snow.... Do you REALLY think that there have NEVER been two IDENTICAL snowflakes? I find that pretty hard to believe." To which I said, "Well you have to assume that in the history of the Earth, there have really NEVER been two identical people - only people who look a lot like one another." I mean, identical twins sort of count, except they are from one cell! So then we got onto a whole different topic about reproducing snowflakes, etc.... They are pretty amazing little things.

    ReplyDelete