Friday, January 9, 2009

Study in Foam Board #9

Doesn't that title sound just so artistic? Reminds me of some of the slide titles we'd study in Art History class at Alfred.


I made this "doodle" yesterday with a scrap of foam board and a new blade. I'm taken with creating circles and divets. It's a challenge to me to see how smooth a curve i can make. I have to also take into account the condition of the cut foam as well. A dull blade will quickly RIP up the foam, leaving a sloppy result. This 'study' started out as a practice in curve work. The more i did, I soon discovered i had created something resembling a bunch of grapes. And so i added the appropriate "Title."

I work with foam board just about every day, making signs for Wegmans. I cut out a LOT of letters to make my signs "pop out" at you. Foam board, for those of you unfamiliar, is essentially 2 pieces of glossy posterboard sandwiching a thin piece of foam. It comes in all different thicknesses, but I choose to work with 1/4". The other key to working with foam board is to have a very sharp hobby blade at all times. It's not uncommon for me to have to switch blades several times in the span of one WORD. To the untrained eye, the blade appears sharp and new. But when cutting, I can FEEL that it's dull.

I think a collection of these matted in white with white frames on a white wall would look really cool and sharp...

1 comment:

  1. It took me a SUPER long time to figure out the thing about the blade having to be really sharp to get a nice edge. I kept thinking, "Why do all those people keep replacing their blades, and WHY can't I get a CLEAN edge?!" Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete